Redesign: Hive

Redesign: Hive

Since the Federal Council of Germany approved shared electric scooter services in June of 2019, providers for shared e-scooters have been flooding German metropolises during the summer & fall of 2019. Hive is one of them.

In this project, I'm analyzing customer critics of the mobile Hive app & discover possible design solutions for a better user experience.

2

month(s) from concept
to completion

2019

date of
completion

View prototype

The Challenge

While looking through the different providers in the search for a good & reliable service, I became aware of Hive. At the time of research, they already offered electric scooters in some European cities and were about to expand into the growing market in Germany. I found that particularly interesting, because upon further research I discovered that Hive is owned by Daimler AG – a quite big company with many resources and possibilities.

Then, upon reading some app reviews, I noticed that many customers had problems with the app, the electric scooters or the service as a whole, which inspired me to find out more about their app and the usability problems.

Since I wanted to create a proper case study for quite some time, I used this chance to not only prototype the mobile app from the ground up with the goal for a better user experience, but also to write a German case study about my project.

Critical reviews of the Hive app in the app stores. Late 2019.
The structure for a case study that I'll try to follow

The Design Process

My process for this project started with reading and collecting every critical app review (three or fewer stars) from the middle of the summer 2019 to November 2019.
Based on this collection of data, I summarized similar problems and frustrations into one, sorted them by their priority and assigned them to the respective steps within the app.

To get more data and better understand the market, I also researched the fast-growing market and intense competition for electric scooter sharing, which helped me to phrase a few challenges better and to get a clear picture for desired customers.

This data then helped me to design the Persona "Brooklyn Beispiel", who is the customer I had in mind when interpreting the customers critics and who I designed the solutions for.
For the design, I started by redesigning the onboarding process of the app, to address the customers frustrations in this process and to get a feel for which direction the UI should and could take. Based on this first few screen designs, I continued working on more screens, in an effort to address all the pain points & frustrations that the customers had with the current version of the app.

Screenshot of critial app reviews
Persona "Brooklyn Beispiel"

The Result

The Result of my work in this project is the interactive prototype on InVision as well as the german case study.

Besides learning how to retrieve meaningful data out of critical app and how to conduct a UX case study, I found and designed helpful solutions for the customers of Hive that will tackle current citics and improve the apps user experience.

For my next project I learnt that I should ask for more feedback from (potential) app users and that I should set clear deadlines for faster progress in a project.

One of the setting screens in the prototype.
Animated navigation in the prototype

At the time of writing this case study, I never was an employee at Hive, nor was I involved in the development or implementation of the service or the app.
I created this UX case study because I saw good potential for Hive to compete within the market of electric scooter sharing – especially with Daimler motors as their parent company. But also because I have a passion for diving into user problems and finding possible solutions.

Prev Project

Spotify: from Search to Discover

Business hours

Mon - Fri, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. CET