Redesign: Hive
UX case study & app redesign

Redesign: Hive

UX case study • 2019

For this case study, I researched the frustrations & problems of hive customers, to design solutions that will help them to use shared electric scooters more seamlessly. As a side effect, these solutions will help hive to stay competitive within the market.

Read the german concept here: https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5af992c0147ee3e3cc3dfbb8/5dc1a0ff15d7a134889b3891_die-app-die-hive-designen-sollte.pdf
Check out the clickable prototype at InVision: https://projects.invisionapp.com/prototype/Redesign-Hive-Prototype-ck27lyunr0034qd01dckflhc8/play/c9a65451

The idea

Since the Federal Council of Germany approved shared electric scooter in June of 2019, providers have been flooding the German market.

While I was looking for a reliable provider, I became aware of hive.
At the time of research, they already offered electric scooters in some European cities & wanted to expand on the German market.
While reading their app reviews, I noticed that many customers criticized their service, which made me curious to find out more about the problems of their app. Therefore, I created this case study and thought about possible solutions.


Kritische Bewertungen der Hive-App in den App Stores: Apple App Store 2,7 Sterne, Google Play Store 3,0 Sterne (Stand: August/September 2019)
Critical reviews of the hive app in the app stores. Late 2019.

The Goal

Recognize the customers' problems & the challenges for hive and create possible solutions.
Also, get to know the process of native app design better and learn how case studies are being conducted.


Grafische Darstellung über den Aufbau einer Fallstudie
Structure of a case study

Research & considerations

My research started with the collection of app critics – rated with three or fewer stars, from the middle of summer 2019 until November 2019.
Based on this collection, I evaluated, sorted and summarized the customers' problems & frustrations and assigned the issues to the individual steps within the app.

I also researched the fast-growing market and intense competition for electric scooter sharing based on data from market studies conducted by Populus and the Boston Consulting Group. This data helped me to pinpoint a few challenges better and to get a clear picture for targeted customers.

Since this is my first case study of this kind, I also did some research about how UX case studies are conducted and how they are structured.


Screenshots der Ein-Stern-Bewertungen zu Hive in den App Stores
Screenshots of the app reviews

Execution

To get a better idea for the target group – and who I'm designing for – I started by designing the Persona "Brooklynn Beispiel". With her daily routine in mind, I figured out solutions that would solve the pain points of the customers.
After figuring out and conceptualizing these solutions, I started by redesigning of the onboarding process of the app, to address the customers frustrations in this process and to get a feel for which direction the UI could have. Based on this UI, I continued working on more screens, in an effort to address all the pain points & frustrations that the customers had.


Persona "Brooklynn Beispiel"




Feedback


Since I didn't ask customers for feedback about the hive app nor my redesign, I can't provide any valuable insights from their perspective.

I'll improve this in future projects.


Animation der Navigation im Redesign-Prototypen. Dargestellt im iPhone-Mochup
Animation of the navigation in the prototype

Conclusion

During this project, I learned how to conduct a UX case study, how to get meaningful data out of negative app reviews, and how to design helpful solutions based on these app reviews. I also learnt a lot about what to consider when designing a mobile app.

My learnings for my next case study are:

  • Ask (potential) users directly for feedback
  • Structure the contents more logically
  • Set clear deadlines for faster progress & less "feature creeping".



iPhone-Mockup des "Problem melden"-Screens
Mockup of the "Problem melden" screen

Annotations

At the time of writing this case study, I never was an employee at hive, nor was I involved in the development or implementation of the service or the app.

I created this UX case study because I saw good potential for hive to compete within the market of electric scooter sharing – especially with Daimler motors as their parent company. But also because I have a passion for diving into user problems and finding possible solutions.

Check out the interactive prototype at InVision: https://projects.invisionapp.com/prototype/Redesign-Hive-Prototype-ck27lyunr0034qd01dckflhc8/play/c9a65451

Trained media designer digital & print.
Self-taught UX & UI designer.

Solving user & business problems with design.